On Monday, October 3rd, 2016, Amazon announced that they will no longer permit the provision of free or discounted products in exchange for reviews, unless through the Amazon Vine program.
For now this only applies to the US and Canadian markets, therefore if you are located anywhere else, it is business as usual.
We want to let you know how things have changed on LootHoot US & CA going forward, as a result of this announcement.
Adherence with Amazon Policy
As we have always done in the past, our members can be assured that LootHoot processes will continue to fully adhere to Amazon’s policies and by using LootHoot as an Amazon Seller or Customer, you can be confident you will not be in violation of Amazon policies.
Therefore, in response to Amazon’s announcement, we have made the changes outlined below.
Post Policy Reality on LootHoot!
LootHoot continues to be a place where Amazon Sellers list their discounted products. The promo codes sellers supply to us are given out, as normal, when LootHoot deals are grabbed by our members.
Here’s where things changed:
- As a member grabbing deals from LootHoot, any Amazon reviews that are written for these products are left as a matter of free choice and completely without obligation to do so.
- Now that reviews are no longer left in exchange for a discounted or free product, no disclaimer is required.
It is important to note:
- Amazon is not trying to stop sellers from discounting their products. This is a basic and important marketing option for any business owner. Amazon doesn’t care if sellers discount their products all day long, providing they do not use them as an incentive in exchange for Amazon reviews.
- Amazon still wants customers to review the products sold on their site, as this is an essential part of their continued business success. Therefore, if Amazon Customers want to review a product they have bought on Amazon (whether it is discounted or full price), it is totally up to them. Just the same as you can review any other Amazon product bought on sale.
- Amazon members are no longer allowed to participate in an agreement where they give or receive a product in exchange for leaving a review on Amazon. If they do, we believe, this is what could put their Amazon seller or review privileges in jeopardy!
- On LootHoot, since members do not receive products in exchange for a review, they are no longer required to include a disclaimer in any reviews they choose to leave for the products grabbed.
- As with regular Amazon purchases, sellers are free to follow up with customers to politely ask for a review. Regardless, it is still our member’s choice whether they leave a review or not.